Colorado Outlaw Racing Association
2013 HOBBY TRUCK RULES
Dec. 2012 – (Rules are highlighted with bold/italicized print and
This driver/owner approved rules package will remain in place for the 2013 & 2014 race season (exception: needed safety rule adjustments).
rules and/or regulations set forth herein are designed to provide for the
orderly conduct of racing events and to establish minimum acceptable
requirements for such events. These rules shall govern the condition of all
events, and by participating in these events, all participants are deemed to
have complied with these rules. NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL
RESULT FROM PUBLICATIONS OF OR COMPLIANCE WITH THESE RULES AND/OR REGULATIONS.
They are intended as a guide for the conduct of the sport and are in no way a
guarantee against injury or death to a participant, spectator or official.
The El Paso County
Speedway administration shall be empowered to permit reasonable and appropriate
deviation from any of the specifications herein or impose any further
restrictions that in their opinion does not alter the minimum acceptable
requirements. NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF SAFETY SHALL RESULT FROM SUCH
ALTERATION OF SPECIFICATIONS. Any interpretation or deviation of these rules is
left to the discretion of the officials. Their decision is final.
SPORTSMANSHIP-- Racing is a very emotional sport. As such, good sportsmanship is the key element of any competitors racing program. This must include respect for all participants – drivers, owners, pit crews and officials. For our part we will make very effort with our rules regardless of whom or what is involved. We will treat all participants with respect and expect similar treatment in return. A racer’s pit area is his/her castle – therefore please stay out of other racer’s pit areas, especially after an incident where you have been involved with that racer. Drivers – remember that you are responsible for the actions of your crews. Any offending parties will be fined appropriately and disciplinary actions will be initiated as deemed necessary.
Hobby Truck Rules
1. SAFETY EQUIPMENT: Rules apply at all times car is on track. Snell-rated SA20051. SAFETY EQUIPMENT: Rules apply at all times car is on track. Snell-rated SA2005, SFI 31.1/2005, or newer helmet required. No M-rated helmets allowed. Roll bar padding required in driver compartment (Fire retardant recommended). SFI-approved full fire suit required. Fire retardant neck brace, gloves and shoes required. Recommended: Fire retardant head sock and underwear; head and neck restraints; collapsible steering shaft. Driver-side window net required, minimum 16"x20" ribbon or mesh style, and must be mounted so latch is at top front of window. Minimum three inch wide five point safety belt assembly required (Y-type shoulder harness not allowed), must be mounted securely to roll cage, no more than three years old (with the original manufacturers label in place). Kill switch required within easy reach of driver and must be clearly marked ‘OFF’ and ‘ON’. Rules apply at all times car is on track. Snell-rated SA2005 or newer helmet required. No M-rated helmets allowed. Roll bar padding required in driver compartment (Fire retardant recommended). SFI-approved full fire suit required. Fire retardant neck brace, gloves and shoes required. Recommended: Fire retardant head sock and underwear; head and neck restraints; collapsible steering shaft. Driver-side window net required, minimum 16"x20" ribbon or mesh style, and must be mounted so latch is at top front of window. Minimum three inch wide five point safety belt assembly required (Y-type shoulder harness not allowed), must be mounted securely to roll cage, no more than three years old (with the original manufacturers label in place). Kill switch required within easy reach of driver and must be clearly marked ‘OFF’ and ‘ON’. A minimum 3 ½ lb. ABC rated Dry Chemical fire extinguisher meeting 1-A 10 B:C must be securely mounted in all competing trucks, and should be mounted within reach of the driver while he/she is belted in driving position.
DEFINITION: American made, full-sized pickup trucks with a factory rating
of 1/2 ton or more and of factory 2-wheel drive. No Blazers, Suburbans,
SUV, or El Camino type vehicles.
3. APPEARANCE -TRUCK NUMBERING
a. Pickups must be neatly numbered on both doors and on the right side of the roof with a minimum 18" tall numbers and 5” tall numbers on the rear of the pickup. Numbers cannot contain 3 digit numbers or contain any letters (visiting trucks may be the exception). The size, color and style of numbers must allow prompt identification by officials at all times. Number must be kept clean. If your number is unreadable you need to make necessary changes or will not be scored.
b. Information on number availability is available at the C. R. A. office. If two drivers want same number, priority is given to driver competing in the most events in the prior year if they register on/before the first point race. License registration fee for the 2013 season: Hobby Truck - $ 75 (every driver must be registered with the C. R. A., if not, driver will receive NO points and NO money for that race event).
AXLE: Factory type production. A Ford 9 inch may be installed
because of gear ratio availability but must be installed same as factory mounts,
no off sets. Floaters optional.
BATTERY: Securely mounted in a steel battery box and welded to the floor
pan, and must completely covered in rubber, if not a dry cell.
If dry cell battery (highly recommended), positive side must be covered
with rubber. A MASTER cut-off switch must be located (and brightly labeled) in
the pickup bed, behind the driver, and within easy reach of safety crew.
BODY: No gutting of the bed. Must have box inner fenders. Hood and
cab inner panels may be removed. No hood scoops. No holes in hood. No chopping
or channeling of body. Front inner fenders are optional. May trim
outer wheel wells for tire clearance. Must have the equivalent to stock
floor in box. Tailgate is optional. Must be securely bolted or welded on!!
Firewall must have all holes sealed. Doors may
have factory hinges, latches, and strikers. Door may be operational, but
be sure they are securely fastened shut when on the track. May add a
front loop. May have a cover on bed. NO sharp edges anywhere on truck,
bumpers, fenders or kick-offs, your racing will be suspended immediately until
problem is repaired. Maximum
one inch wide by two inch tall steel or lexan rub rails allowed – bolted flush
must be welded shut, at a 45 degree angle with no sharp edges exposed..
No bars past outside edge of body other than rub rails.
7. BRAKES: Same as factory
equipped for that make and model. Stock pedals.
8. STEERING: All components must be
steel unaltered OEM, in OEM location and match frame. OEM steering column may be
replaced with steel steering shafts (collapsible steering shaft recommended).
Steel knuckles only. No steering quickeners, or remote power steering
reservoirs. Steering wheel and quick release (required) may be aluminum.
BUMPERS: Front: as it came equipped for that make and model.
May have two vertical nerf bars, no wider apart than the outside of frame rails. Rear:
no homemade bumpers. OEM as came equipped from factory. LuVerne or
aftermarket bumper are okay. No tube type bumpers. Front and rear
bumpers must have a flat plate connecting the ends to the fenders and box side
to prevent hooking bumper and bending them away from the body. May install
aftermarket nosepiece. Front hoops allowed.
one (1) STOCK Holley 4412 2 barrel carb may be used (will be checked with a
go/no go gauge).
Two return springs are mandatory. No fuel injection or throttle bodies.
Choke butterflies may be removed. Absolutely NO re-working of venturi or
throttle plates whatsoever! Carbs will be checked!
ENGINE: 370 Cubic inch maximum!! Over bore included. Must be
located where they belong. No setbacks or off sets. No Vortec
engines or Vortec heads. Stock, OEM production type heads!! Flat top
pistons maximum. No domes. Performance camshaft allowed. No rollers. Heads
will be left totally stock!! No de-burring, no polishing, no port
matching. Only screw in studs are allowed. Stock rocker arms.
No roller rocker arms or tips of any type. Stock type push rods. Intake
manifold must be OEM. Cast iron. No high performance or Z28
manifolds. A non-adjustable adapter plate, no higher than 1 1/2 inches may
be used on a 4-barrel intake. The only carburetors in this class is the
Holley list 4412 500 cfm. No exceptions. GM engines with GM,
Chrysler with Chrysler, Ford with Ford, etc. Stock or HEI ignition only, no
aftermarket ignition boxes allowed, with the exception of a separate rev-limiter
EXHAUST: Stock OEM cast iron standard exhaust manifolds with a maximum
2” outlet. No high performance manifolds for that make and model. No
headers. Maximum 3” exhaust pipes must extend to at least rear of cab minimum!
Mufflers required with a noise limitation of 95 dB (measured
at 100 ft. from edge of racing surface).
Vertical stacks (behind the cab) may be
used, but cannot extend more than 12” above cab.
Complete exhaust system must be leak free and
remain intact for the duration of the race.
13. FRAME: Long bed frame
can be shortened, but must resemble and meet factory specs (wheelbase for that
type short box design). Frame rails must remain straight and true. Short
bed box must look original. Must have minimum of 8 inches ground clearance at
designated point at all times, measured at lowest point of frame rail (excluding
front cross member).
FUEL: Pump gas only (defined as a "road tax fuel").
E85 fuel allowed.
FUEL PUMP: Mechanical engine mounted pumps only. No electric fuel
FUEL TANK: Must be relocated to the inside of the bed area and securely
fastened down. The fuel tank should be of no more than 16 US gallons and
have a screw-on top and be of heavier material than a stock fuel tank. The
bed must have drain holes in the floor to let fuel drain out. Must have a
metal firewall cover between gas tank and battery. Tank must have check
valve to prevent leakage if inverted. Fuel
cell is mandatory. If fuel cell does not have aircraft
style positive seal filler neck/cap system - a flapper, spring or ball type
filler rollover valve is required.
MIRRORS: None allowed.
RADIATOR: Mounted inside body sheet metal in the original location area.
Removal of original radiator core support allowed. Aluminum radiators allowed.
19. ROLL CAGE: A 4-post roll cage, constructed from round tubing at least .095 minimum wall thickness pipe. Minimum 1 ¾” OD tubing that is welded with gussets in upper halo corners a must. The driver’s door side of the car must have 3 or more bars (NASCAR Type) in its construction. Steel door plate(s), 18 gauge or .049 inch minimum thickness, must be securely welded to outside of door bars on driver side. Plate must cover area from top door bar to frame and from rear down post to five (5”) inches in front of seat. Must be visible for inspection. Cage must be welded or bolted with floor plates (minimum 5” x 5” x 1/4”) to floor of cab or frame. A foot protection bar must be installed from the left front down post forward to the left side frame rail. Minimum one cross bar in top halo.Additional gusseting and triangulation of all cage construction is recommended. Must have 2 braces extending from top of cage into the bed and fastened to frame. Front hoop allowed. New trucks must use 1 ¾” .095 Wall Tubing for main cage structure. No black pipe or threaded connections. 1 ½” cages built prior to the 2009 season must be approved by Tech. Advisory Committee.
SUSPENSION: Regular OEM factory production that came on your truck only.
Heavier load rated coil springs are permitted. Must set in existing stock
structure. “A” frames and spindles may not be altered to fit different
springs. Stock spring mounts, locations, and types. Only stock,
heavy-duty or OEM replacement non-adjustable
shocks allowed. No racing, air shocks,
load-leveling shocks or coil over shocks
allowed. No alterations to suspension function. No weight jacks or
shims to adjust weight. May have rear lowering blocks, but must be same left and
right. Front end of rear leaf springs must be mounted in stock
location, adjustable rear shackles can be used.
TIRES: 15 (or 16) inch “as
manufacturer cast in sidewall” D.O.T. tires
only. No grooving. Maximum size permitted is 255-60-15 (or 16).
Tires must fit within 8 ½” hoop.
No overly aggressive tire tread designs allowed.
TRANSMISSIONS/DRIVE SHAFT: Stock automotive type, must have forward and reverse. Stock
OEM flywheels, converters, clutch, and disc. No aluminum flywheels.
Standards must have a 2 inch inspection hole or equivalent drilled in the
bottom. NO MINI CLUTCH STUFF. All GM must be 168 tooth flywheel.
No Corvette or Camaro high performance flywheels allowed.
WHEELS: 8-inch maximum width steel wheels. Right side wheel must be
reinforced or white spoke or equivalent. Wheels must be painted white or a
bright color. Tubes are optional. No aluminum or alloy wheels. Must
have 1” lug nuts and ½” lug studs minimum.
WINDSHIELD: Driver’s half of opening must have no less than 4 vertical bars
measuring a minimum of 3/8” diameter. No wider than 4”
apart maximum. Must cover driver’s half of opening.
WEIGHT: Minimum weight limit of 3,400
pounds, after race with driver in truck. No
tolerance. No weights and/or loose objects in driver compartment or outside
body. Weights must be securely mounted to frame or roll cage and painted white
with truck number on it. Must be attached with at least two 1/2" inch
bolts. No titanium, magnesium or carbon fiber products. No gun-drilled, tubular,
hollow bolts or studs. Steel fasteners only.
26. PROTEST – Refer to EPCS “General Rules M – Protest” (in accordance with EPCS & IMCA)
Failure of exhaust system, or muffler
fails to keep engine noise below 95dB – Driver will receive the “meatball”
flag, and must exit the track at that time, but will receive the appropriate
finishing position as they exited the track.
Failure to proceed directly to tech
area/scales – Disqualification for the feature.
Owner/driver receives no points and no money.
carburetor/parts – Illegal part will be confiscated.
Owner/driver will be disqualified and receive no points and no money.
If owner/driver refuses to relinquish illegal part, they will suspended
for the next two events.
Illegal fuel or additives – Disqualification for the evenings results.
Owner/driver receives no points and no money.
Owner/driver will be suspended for the next two event.
28. Decisions of C.R.A. and/or El Paso
County Speedway Officials are final and binding without exception.
THIS: If there
is an item not covered or you’re not sure about something in these rules, have
it approved by a tech inspector, track promoter, or leave it stock!!
Additional information call: 719-683-5638. OEM means: Original
Equipment Manufactured with no additional modifications done by anyone!!
If it doesn't say you can do it, assume you can't!
Home | Contact Us | Calendar | Directions | Divisions | News | Photo Gallery | Advertise With Us
Copyright © 2007-2013 - Colorado Outlaw Racing Assoc. LLC. All Rights Reserved.